The West Virginia Housing Development Fund: Everything You Need to Know
Often referred to as the Mountain State and known for its scenic views, West Virginia is a place many people look to reside in. If you’re considering purchasing a home in West Virginia, you’ll be glad to know that the West Virginia Housing Development Fund (WVHDF) offers several programs that can help you become a homeowner. Keep reading to learn more about the WVHDF and how the programs they offer can benefit you.
WHAT IS THE WEST VIRGINIA HOUSING DEVELOPMENT FUND?
Established by the state of West Virginia in 1969, the West Virginia Housing Development Fund was created to help increase the amount of available housing for those with low-to-moderate income. The WVHDF also provides construction and permanent mortgage financing to public and private sponsors of said housing. To date, the WVHDF has helped fund more than 123,000 homes and has issued more than $4.5 billion in bonds.
WVHDF HOMEOWNERSHIP PROGRAM
The WVHDF Homeownership Program was designed to help make home buying more affordable for families and individuals living in West Virginia. Those eligible for this program can take advantage of benefits like down payment and closing cost assistance. Assistance ranges from $7,500-$10,000 and is dependent on your loan-to-value ratio. Below are additional benefits of the Homeownership Program:
- Up to 100% financing
- Several types of homes qualify, including single-family homes, townhomes, condos, and units in approved Planned Unit Developments
- Permanent financing is available for new construction
- Many mortgage insurances accepted
To be eligible for this program you must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a first-time homebuyer OR if living in a non-targeted county, must not have had an ownership interest in your principal residence during the last three years
- Must meet county income and purchase price limits
View the WVHDF county income and price limits here
- Property may not exceed five acres
- Must participate in homebuyer counseling
For more information on the WVHDF Homeownership Program as well as targeted and non-targeted counties, please visit the WVHDF Homeownership Program website.
WVHDF MOVIN’ UP PROGRAM
Geared towards those who might have outgrown their current home, The Movin’ Up Program was created to help moderate-income homebuyers purchase a new residence. Eligible borrowers have to meet statewide income limits and complete homebuyer counseling in order to qualify. Mortgage insurance is also required.
Those who qualify can take advantage of the following benefits:
- For existing and first-time homebuyers
- Down Payment Assistance options:
- Up to $5,000 for loans with a loan-to-value ratio ≥ 90% of the purchase price
- Up to $8,000 for loans with a loan-to-value ratio < 90% of the purchase price
- Many types of housing qualify, including single-family homes, townhomes, condos, and units in approved Planned Unit Developments, and new construction
- No acreage limits
For more information on income limits and eligibility, please visit the WVHDF Movin’ Up website.
THE WVHDF REFINANCE PROGRAM
The WVHDF Refinance Program is built for current WVHDF customers and homeowners who would like to refinance their mortgage. To help borrowers take advantage of lower interest rates, this program provides:
- Competitive 10-year to 30-year fixed-rate mortgages
- Up to 95% financing
- No WVHDF-issued house price or income limits for this program, although loan limits do apply
HOW DO I GET STARTED WITH A WVHDF LOAN?
With several different programs to take advantage of, there’s no question that the WVHDF may the home buying solution you’ve been searching for.
Ready to learn more? Reach out to one of our expert loan officers today to confirm eligibility and learn more about how the WVHDF may be right for you!